Powiat leżajski

A A A
Print Site map
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The Leżajsk Sanctuary

The building of wooden church was accomplished in 1598, dedicated to Blessed Virgin Mary. It was consecrated by Lviv archbishop Dymitr Solikowski. The priests of the order of Miechowice Templars took care of the church. However, according to their inability to fulfill necessary duties they were forced to turn to Przemyśl bishop Maciej from Bużenin Pstrokoński. In 1602 the priests insisted on handing the reins over the Grey Friars, living in Przeworsk. Six years later, Grand Crown Marshal and at the same time Poviat Staroste Łukasz Opaliński hammered out on the Polish king an approval to build the monastery. On the 4th of September 1608, Friars came to Leżajsk. The first in history of Leżajsk, brick church was built, thanks to the Friars’ help and initiative. However the present-day monumental monastery was built in years: 1618-1628. The construction of the church was supervised by Italian architect Antonio Pellaccini. The church was constructed on a rectangle projection with three elongated naves. The main nave ends with semi-circular chancel. The church is counted among large temples, due to its measurements: 67 meters long, 35 meters wide and 40 meters high. The temple’s equipment is from an early Baroque period. The main altar, an altar in St.Francis chapel, two smaller altars, stalls from Mannerism period and ambo are the work of art ascribed to monks. Polychromes, that ornament insides of the monastery are priceless monuments funded by aristocratic families.

The Leżajsk Sanctuary.
The Leżajsk Sanctuary .
The Leżajsk Sanctuary.
The Leżajsk Sanctuary.
The Leżajsk Sanctuary .
The Leżajsk Sanctuary.
 
 

 
 

Search engine

 
 

Contact Us

Starostwo Powiatowe w Leżajsku
8  Kopernika St.
37-300 Leżajsk
phone number +48 17 240 45 00
fax +48 17 240 45 09
e-mail:

 

full contact details

 
 
 
 

sonda

 
 
Visit counter: 3 688 697
 
Ideo realizacja:
CMS Edito Powered by:
Starostwo Powiatowe w Leżajsku
ul. Kopernika 8
37-300 Leżajsk
tel: 017 2404 500
fax: 017 2404 509
e-mail: